This week I made good progress with this website (if I may say so myself).
First I settled on the Counter WordPress theme, as the fundament for the design and structure of this website.
Then I started hacking to make the thema a bit more to my liking. I altered the CSS to change the color scheme and fix some inconsistencies in how the different templates in the theme loaded (thanks to Maarten Zeinstra for some tips!).
I also added some PHP functions (like the_excerpt()) to change how post content loaded in category pages, because I wanted them to show an overview of posts first, and not the entire posts, like on the homepage of this website.
I’ll continue to add content over the coming weeks, to see how this may change the requirements for the design and structure of this website.